Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit, either. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman

19 October 2014

Hyber-Knitting-Run for the Needles!

 

There was a time that multiple newspapers and the background of news casts littered my days. I was a true news junkie. Maybe it is time, or the pace of the planet, or the simple overload of news noise as a bombardment of info- good, bad, and just dumb- come flying at us...the take away-- it's too scary out there!- 


What is it about October?  Always used to be my favorite month--gorgeous weather, crunchy leaves, color filling the landscape against crisp skies...then you turn on the news.
The world is spinning in a direction that I don't care to follow ...if you haven't listened or read the news of late--well don't! War, violence, disaster, terror, devastation and disease...and that is just in the first 2 minutes.


The answer-  Tune out .. unplug... hide under the covers...and oh yeah-Run for the Needles!



 If ever there were a Run for the Needles Moment-this is it!  My answer in the end to all things insane-Run for the Needles!  I can't fix this planet, nor can I understand or control it.  Frustrating to say the least for someone who operates her life on the firm and proven belief that she can make everything work better.  So...I cast on.

It is knitting season after all, so there really is no need for an excuse to find myself curled up with a pile of projects to be finished, and patterns to be plotted, while I binge-watch Gilmore Girls and remember why knitting matters!


The rhythm of stitches moving off one needle to the next.  The feel of a gracious fiber around my fingers.  The satisfaction of watching fabric grow beneath my needles.  The joy that never grows old of seeing a series of simple knits and purls become a texture that is better than any comfort food...and perhaps most importantly these days, the knowledge that I can fix whatever doesn't come out right-if it needs to unravel,then I can knit it back in place-if only the world could be so easy!   What to knit?  Doesn't really matter-Just Knit! 




On the Needles!

Off the Needles

Pearls from the Yarn Basket