Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit, either. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman

31 July 2010

Absolutely Amy-Amy Butler Designs


"I've never given a second thought to being an artist. It's really who I am, and what I enjoy." Amy Butler


                                                                                                                                                                                           I don't sew...countless efforts resulting in really ugly things led me to the decision that Singer and I were never meant to be best buddies...give me a pair of needles and a ball of yummy yarn and I am happy.  I am,however, a fabric fiend and Amy Butler's  designs have been a favorite for a long time.


 Amy, a contributing editor at Country Living, started making small bags in the late 80s. "There was a great energy about it. I sold to small boutique shops around the country, basically by hand-picking stores that I loved and making personal introductions." When she moved back to Ohio in the 90s she started her Art of the Midwest studio with about $1,200 and began designing fabrics and went back to the passion she found creating bags and started her sewing pattern business.

Amy's fabrics are striking with an instantly recognizable signature style.  The designs incorporate bold and elegant patterns in colors that lead a room.

The Amy Butler brand has expanded beyond quilting  and fashion sewing fabric collections to bags and luggage, paper craft and Home Design with wall art, rugs ,organic bedding, accessories,tableware and soon wallpaper and of course home dec weight fabrics.

 Now exciting news for knitters... Amy's new line of Organic yarn, Belle, and her accompanying patterns Midwest Modern Knits from Rowan


 Midwest Modern Knits like Amy's other books, Midwest Modern, In Stitches, Found Style and her many patterns come from her Midwest roots and showcase the joy she finds in color and bold design.



For me the key to any new knitting pattern book is a simple question-"Do I want to run for the needles?"  With Amy as inspiration the answer is Yes!




On the Needles!

Off the Needles

Pearls from the Yarn Basket