Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit, either. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman

31 January 2010

Up to My Neck...Over My Head!


The thermometer this morning read 5! degrees-Clearly winter has decided to settle in for a bit. I am cocooning under piles and piles and piles of yarn! THIS is Knitter's Season. With so many patterns that are tempting me to cast on yet another project, my Knitter's ADD is at an all time high. How to juggle all I want to knit is the winter dilemma. The answer for me- "One and Dones"-one night knits on big needles---scarves and snoods and cowls... OH MY!

kpixie.com

I only have one neck to wrap but it will surely be a warm one! Ready to Bundle Up! Here are a few to keep your needles clicking while the wind howls. All instant gratification, love that!, and take just a skein or two and all super snuggly! Run for those Big needles!!

Knit 1 Chicago



I started my Winter Scarf-Olympics with this--A knit version of a crocheted scarf I fell for at In the Loop -I really don't speak crochet so I redesigned it for knitters.


Winter Garden is a little Spring to wear when the cold bites back. Pattern available from In the Loop.


Beatrice from Jane Richmond is such a great knit--17 needles, a little over 200 yards and a simple lace pattern-I chose a Tiffany Box blue for mine and just kept knitting til I ran out of yarn---love it!



Tanis Gray has designed some of my favorite big needle warm and wrappy neck "jewelry"

Vogue Knitting

Of course Twinkle is the big needle queen and if you have never had the chance to knit with her Soft and Chunky from Classic Elite
you are in for a treat-I am knitting a jacket with it now and I can't wait to put it on! The colors are wonderful and a scarf or cowl is the perfect way to indulge without having to buy more than a couple of skeins!
Wisteria
Highlander Stole

A great place to find FREE patterns is Lion Brand and they have done some super big and fast scarves which are also terrific knits for beginners.

Triple Play
Fall River


Bulky Mini Rib

Next up for me in my scarf-marathon
Haven by Kim Hargreaves

L'echarpe en Double, La Droguerie


Falling Leaves, Sweaterbabe

... and though technically not a "one and done" I won't let scarf season pass without doing Jennifer Lang's Drifted Pearls---of course!


Of course as we have chatted about the Cowl is THE winter accessory but more importantly you can whip these up in no time and have a wardrobe of them in a week!!

I made Bonnie Marie Burns' Maximus with yarn I had bought in Florence and never found the right pattern for --love how the ribbing shows off the shading in the yarn and love that I wore it the next day after casting on!!!



The Burberry Inspired Cowl is in every LYS you visit-as it should be, warm, snuggly, scrunchy,soft and fast! I did this one using a strand of Frog Tree Merino and Tili Thomas silk-just yummy!


A great variation is the Tuesday Night Cowl--just enough cables to keep it fun! Working this in Venezia.



I think cowls are a great way for beginners to learn new stitches-these are fun for learning basic cables and pattern stitches
Kris Knits' Thermis
Thayer Preece's Frosting
Lisa Ashby's Dear Scarflette

Want NO BRAIN knitting--these are perfect!
Marian
Dobb's Ferry
Mar La
Nuage

Believe it or not I still have cowls that are calling and these will get done before the crocuses pop!

Cathy Carron's Cabled Cowl



Mrrrphmrrf

I may be up to my neck til July!!! Have Fun!!


Designer Inspired Cowl

On the Needles!

Off the Needles

Pearls from the Yarn Basket